Website Cancer Centers of Southwest Oklahoma
Under the direct supervision of the Office Supervisor, the Scheduler performs a variety of tasks that affect the ongoing and future clinical care of patients on a daily basis. Responsibilities include: scheduling appointments and various testing, making referrals to the appropriate facility and the follow-up/reconciliation that the tests and referrals have been performed. The position works closely with the personnel of various providers to insure timely appointments for CCSO patients. This position works closely with patients to ensure we provide accurate appointments, authorizations and information related to the physician orders. The scheduler also distributes hospital consultations for the physicians according to the CCSO rotation schedule.
• Experience in a medical office setting, with basic computer and secretarial skills.
• High School or greater preferred.
• Must have good organizational skills, reading, writing and proven communication skills.
• Must be able to type 50 words per minute and 10 key calculator.
Performs Patient Relation Duties
• Greets all patients and their guests in a professional, courteous manner.
• Answers phone calls using a pleasant voice and proper etiquette.
• Protects the privacy of all patients by regarding information as confidential.
• Offers assistance to any patient or guest who appears lost or needs assistance.
Completes all Patient Check-Out Procedures
• Verifies patient by asking for patient name and date of birth.
• Schedules return appointments for physician visits and/or laboratory tests. This includes visits for medical oncology, telegenetics and behavioral health consultations.
• Maintains a working knowledge of clinic guidelines of when procedures or exams can be scheduled and the time needed for each.
• Prints the CCD (Continuity of Care Document) for each patient that was examined by a physician. This must be completed within three days of the date of service. The CCD is generated and documented in the electronic medical record.
• Communicates with outside facilities to schedule radiology, cardiopulmonary or surgical procedures. Provides the facility with patient demographics, medical records and authorizations as needed.
• Communicates with outside physician offices to make patient referrals. Provides the referring office with patient demographics, medical records and authorizations as needed.
• Explains testing or appointment instructions to the patient per referring office direction. Provide patient with written instructions as well as verbal along with barium drink as needed.
• Reschedules patient appointments as directed by supervisor, physician or office guideline when physician schedules must change. Notify patient of the change by phone call or letter. Document patient notification in the electronic medical record.
• Reviews the daily schedule to ensure all appointments have been completed and orders have been acted upon. This includes a review of patient appointments that were “no shows” or “canceled” and policy is followed by contacting the patient to reschedule the appointment.
• Distributes hospital consultations according to the Rotation Schedule. Provides the consulting physician with patient name, hospital location, referring MD, diagnosis and insurance information. This information is also recorded on the Consultation Spreadsheet.
• Reviews the Observation Orders Report to ensure all orders have been acted upon for the previous day’s business. Follow up on uncompleted orders until there is a resolution.
Verify insurance eligibility and obtain prior authorizations.
• Use available websites to verify the insurance requirements for all radiology tests. If prior authorizations or pre-determinations are needed, the appropriate paperwork is completed and submitted in a timely manner. This is also communicated to the patient.
• Obtain prior authorizations in a timely manner before the time of service. Scan authorization into the electronic medical record of the patient.
Assist the physicians in any secretarial duties as requested.
• Locate, print and provide patient medical records to physicians as needed.
• Coordinate physician to physician calls as directed.
• Communicates with physicians to accurately schedule observation orders within our organization and any outside facilities.
Maintain accurate patient documentation.
• Scan patient documentation into Mosaiq on a daily basis.
• Verify patient name on EMR account matches patient name on paperwork.
Completes all other tasks as assigned by supervisor or manager to maintain business operations.
To apply for this job please visit www.ccswok.com.