Radiation therapy is one of the most common and important methods of cancer treatment. Therefore, about half of all cancer cases involve radiation therapy. It works by delivering high doses of radiation with special equipment to target cancerous tumors. It kills or damages them so they can’t grow, multiply, and/or spread.
Radiation therapy services at Cancer Centers of Southwest Oklahoma include:
- Three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Electron beam therapy
- Volumetric-Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
We use State-of-the-art linear accelerators (LINACs) at CCSO to deliver external beam radiation therapy. Our Radiation Oncologists devise a highly conformal, custom treatment plan for each patient. This plan is then transferred to the LINACs, where our team of highly trained Radiation Therapists deliver the daily treatment.
External Beam Radiation
- A linear accelerator (LINAC) customizes high energy x-rays or electrons to conform to a tumor’s shape. Learn More
Sterotactic Radiation Therapy
- Sterotactic radiation therapy is used for certain types of tumors where a high dose can be delivered over a shorter period of time. Learn More
- CCSWOK now Offers Innovative SpaceOAR™ Hydrogel to benefits patients of prostate cancer. Learn More
Volumetric-Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
- VMAT is a faster way to treat patients that need IMRT treatments, often cutting the treatment times in half. Another benefit is VMAT’s ability to deliver a more conformal dose to the cancer tissue.